Summer Sistah

Book in Hand: The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis)
Song in Mind: Shut up by Simple Plan
Word in Mouth: It's Okay

I took a test measuring my English proficiency today and I didn't get a perfect score. Fine by me, I'm not an English language scholar. But what bothered me was that the other examinees were English teachers from small universities and colleges in Metro Manila and their scores were mortifying. Hala, what are they teaching their students then? More than that, a lot of them were already old and ang yayabang nila. Pinapagalitan pa nila yung speaker sa harap. Pilipit naman mag-English. "Why is it that you are lecturing us on modules and not on lesson plans? We are here because we are new to this and we want to know how to do." - sabi ni Mr. Procopio who insisted on being called Dean Rivera. (Dean KA??????) Super enunciation si Sir. Natalo pa si Miriam Santiago. Bakit ba ang daming Pinoy na akala ang sukatan ng pananalita ng Ingles ay ang galing ng pag-emphasize nila sa mga consonants? Let me spell out how the above phrase sounded when he was speaking it, "Huwway eees ehtth zzzaat ewe arrr leK-chu-ring as onn mo-julssss and nottt onnn lesssson plannnssss?" He sounded like he came from Planet Zzzork.

Wag na kasing magkunwari. Okay lang naman na hindi magaling mag-Ingles ang isang Pinoy. Basta ba hindi mayabang. At umaamin na kailangan nyang matuto.

Anyway, tomorrow company outing namin!! Wheee! Marunong din naman kaming mag-unwind. I'm bringing my sister with me. She needs the sun on her skin anyway. Yes... I'll wear a swimsuit. Bakit ba? =p Alangan namang mag-denim jacket ako. Yun nga lang, don't dare take pictures or you won't know what flattened you. ha!

And on Saturday, the Book Club will be meeting again. It's Norman's turn to organize it! Which reminds me I have to return his books and I have to ask him which ones he'd be borrowing from me this time. Mariel is lending me some books already. I have no idea what to lend Peloy... and I'm also wondering if he still finds time to read books with his super enhanced Editor-in-Chief schedule... hehe.

Oh which reminds me... I applied as a writer in Peloy's magazine and I just completed the first couple of reviews for the next issue. Peloy's too nice and he says the drafts just need a little tweaking. Hay, pasensya na pare, I think it'll still be some time before I could submit print-ready articles. But I do promise to always try my best.

I rarely print my stuff... best reason why is for fear of criticism as described in my blog some time last week. I did print some articles when I was in grade school and high school, but I had my student council position to hide behind in (i.e. had to do it eh, I was asked eh, sige subukan mo sabihing pangit isusulat kita sa noisy girls (hehe, just kidding!)). I let people read my poems and books and some think na I'm comfortable doing that. But I don't know -- I've always felt like I'm exposing a part of me to possible pain everytime I do that. Ang hirap gawin, pero kailangan eh. Kung pwede nga lang hindi ko na ipabasa kahit kanino. Pero pag ganoon, pointless ang pagiging writer. You're here to describe life or what comes close to it so that other people can recognize it. Words could change a life. *shrug* There's this philosophy to do what hurts the most until it no longer hurts (revised from Mother Teresa's give until it no longer hurts). And I try to practice that. There's no other way I could improve if I don't let people criticize what I do. Wala lang, share ko lang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manong Boie's Advice to Young People

Stephen King says Stephenie Meyer Sucks

Eating Pizza in Pisa and other Tuscan Food Adventures