Hancock

hancock



Superheroes based on comic book characters are the in-thing nowadays in Hollywood. See the umpteenth version of the Incredible Hulk, as well as the upcoming Dark Knight movie. Realistically though, Incredible Hulk was only cool because Liv Tyler's there, but guys I know expressed their disappointment they didn't get to see much rack or pursed lips as they wanted. The Dark Knight will be a blockbuster because a LOT of people will get a kick out of seeing Heath Ledger's last, last movie. I'm sure because I'm one of them. It'll be creepy good.


But --- as the tag line of the movie says, there are heroes, there are superheroes, and then there's Hancock.


I wanted to watch the film. As in I really, really was waiting for it. That's why I didn't mind falling in line for the ticket, and it was quite a long line. IMagine, barely 3 days into its showing, people were lining up for it! I can't imagine the weekend polls, it might go through the roof.


It was good, in all fairness. It managed to entertain me, and it made me laugh a couple of times. Besides, Will Smith ain't hard on the eyes --- even if he did look like a hobo most of the movie. The thing is, the movie itself? The plot, the logic of it all? It's kind of schizophrenic.


The last 20 - 30 minutes of the movie disappointed me. I was kinda feeling the groove of the assh*le Hancock, troubled, angry and lonely, turning into a new leaf. If they just focused on that vein, it might have been a better movie. But they inserted this twist, which came like a left-hand hook from a giant ladybug and I was sent careening to the edges of plausibility. What the f***? I had to physically make a fist in the effort to push back my incredulity.


But should you watch it? Heck yeah! Do!

Will Smith's burnin' behind is worth it. I think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manong Boie's Advice to Young People

Stephen King says Stephenie Meyer Sucks

The Last Station: Leo Tolstoy's Last Days