Jane Austen Returnee



Before Harry Potter, there was Mr. Darcy.

It IS odd that at 25 years old, I indulge in young adult and speculative fiction whereas I indulged only in the classics when I was 11 years old. I don't expect anyone to believe it, but I knew Captain Frederick Wentworth (Persuasion) first before I knew Captain Carrot Ironfoundersson (Discworld).

Recently though, I am getting a bit tired with fantasy. I have read most of my favorite authors' books (Tolkien, Gaiman, Pratchett, Le Guin, Rowling, Cooper, Pullman, Nix), at least most of what I can get my hands on here in the Philippines. It is harder to buy good books because 30% of published fantasy really are quite mediocre, and 50% quite suck. That leaves a 20% chance of finding a good read.

Classical fiction though, rarely dissapoints. Maybe it's because these are the tried and tested stories that already fought their way through time to remain on the surface of man's imagination.

So my reading list for this month will involve less fantasy and more classical books. By gosh, they're much cheaper too. There's a Penguin Edition that can only cost you Php 69 - 99 / book. :) Happeeee.


1. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
2. Emma by Jane Austen
3. Father Brown Stories GK Chesterton
4. Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky
5. Wuthering Heights by Charlotte Bronte
6. Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami
7. Points of View: Anthology of Short Stories

Oh, and can somebody help me find A CLOCKWORK ORANGE by Anthony Burgess and NEVER LET ME GO by Kazuo Ishiguro? it's so dang hard to find!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manong Boie's Advice to Young People

Stephen King says Stephenie Meyer Sucks

The Last Station: Leo Tolstoy's Last Days