Self-Psychology

Back when I was taking Psych 155 (Abnormal Psychology) in UP, our professor told us to NEVER EVER dare to diagnose oneself. She says we will probably end up claiming we are all psychotic schizophrenics with manic depressive tendencies. I guess what she meant was we all have quirks which we think are faults; we have a tendency to over-relate things and its relevance to our lives. The value of the shrink is her/his ability to distance himself from the client and to objectively assess the more applicable abnormal psychology afflicting them.

I hold on dear to that logic just so I can say I'm not a schizo manic-depressive with suicidal tendencies. I mean, I can't be that crazy, right? Wait, better not answer that, not even in your mind. I'm just wondering about this because my workmate was griping today about a friend of his who he believes is mentally imbalanced. He let me read the girl's ranting and I got a little scared because she sounded like me when I go on my existentialist crap mood. If my workmate reads this blog, he'd probably call me manic-depressive too. But heck, I took 15 units of Psych (it's practically my minor --- pagbigyan nyo na ko when I say this) and I aced each and everyone of them. And I think I'm probably not. Maybe, I just think too much. On all the silly things. And I go on perfectly unpredictable loops. With reasonable, intermittent amounts of time in between. I mean, maybe. :)

Sheesh, whatever.

Since I'm already on this self-punishing mood, I might as well greet Norman happy birthday as well. :) I don't think I've ever admitted it to him (or to myself for that matter), but he probably provided the fodder for my drive to excel back in college. Me, who claims I don't like competition --- All this time I really was silently and mentally trying to match his achievements. Magaling siya sa Math (as in sobra, over, ultimate)? Eh di ako magiging magaling sa English (because I'm really hopeless with math). President siya? O sige, VP mo ako.. University Scholar siya? Eh di UNiversity scholar din dapat ako. :) Wacky, noh? I don't think he noticed. To me naman, it was also some kind of friendly competition. Actually, mejo flattery to him pa nga siya, kasi I wanted to be of the same "make" as he is. Shux. Bola na to. Pero ok lang. As if he reads this blog. He wouldn't because he thinks I'm silly and what I say are just silly things. (bleh!) I'm good conversation when you just want to be totally whacked out and you just don't want to think about anything important. But his logical world probably doesn't allow that, so there. Hehehe...:) In college, he was my bestest guy friend though. I'm not sure if that can drastically change in the short span of four years, since we still see each other almost monthly. I don't get to share my secrets to him anymore. But do any of us quarter-lifers do that still? I mean really confide in anyone else outside the family (heart and soul)? I'm starting to think we just talk to ourselves until we become nucking futs. But I digress.

SO Norman, I hope you had a great birthday today. That probably translates to lots of new books, chocolates and people asking you Harry Potter Trivia everywhere you went. :) You're such a geek. And that's probably why we'd be friends for a long, long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manong Boie's Advice to Young People

Stephen King says Stephenie Meyer Sucks

Eating Pizza in Pisa and other Tuscan Food Adventures