A Parade of Days

Find below an excerpt from my diary back when I was ten years old. Just for the sake of preserving the memory, I have edited nothing. Find it as I have written it in 1992.

Day: Thursday
Date: Feb. 20.92
Time: 2:30 p.m.

Dear Diary,

Me gusto akong itanong bakit ba sunod-sunod ang araw at parang me hinihintay minsan parang walang hinihintay parang walang lugar, walang sinusunod. Gusto ko sanang itanong at malaman ang sagot.

Love,
Olivia


Obviously, these were the days before I became better acquainted with punctuation marks. :) . For the life of me, I can't remember what brought about this question back then. Was it just like today?

Just five minutes ago, I heard Mummy mutter "Hay, Salamat po Diyos Ko, tapos na naman ang linggo...." And I realized that to her, life is measured by the week. More specifically, by the number of Tuesdays and Thursdays that passes by (note: she only teach classes on those days). A fleeting thought jarred me enough to ask, "Waiting for what?"

Pasko ba ang hinihintay ni Mummy? Yun ba ang hinihintay ko?
Eh ang Pasko, matatapos din. After a while January na naman. Ano naman ang hihintayin? Pasko ulit?

At ilang Pasko pa ba bago marating yung araw na hihintay ko talaga? Ano ba yung araw na yun?

If I were a better Christian, I'd say, the day I am with my Creator. But before that, would there be a time on this Earth when I can say I have reached the End of the Parade of Days?

And thinking that, I remembered Olivia-Ten-years-Ago and it amazes me that I'm still asking the same question. After thirteen years.

Huh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manong Boie's Advice to Young People

Stephen King says Stephenie Meyer Sucks

The Last Station: Leo Tolstoy's Last Days