Reality Bites

Reality shows really reign supreme nowadays, huh? They stand there at the top alongside telenovelas. But like any good idea, you could only have it once.

Personally, I like singing contests where the contestants get taken out one by one. I love seeing the people transform themselves every week, just so to be the "hot" one for the day. I used to like watching Star in a Million, the batch where Eric Santos won. It was fantastic, wasn't it? You could actually see the stars being born. Unfortunately, the winners of the following seasons weren't really that amazing or memorable anymore. And the singers in the GMA 7 contest (what's the title of that show again?) are sadly lacking in talent or are trying too hard (oh, i remember now) to be the next Pinoy Pop Superstar. So nowadays, I just content myself watching the ASAP Champions when I could.

On the other hand, I watched the first few episodes of the American Idol last season and it totally sucked. It never fails to amaze me why Filipinos aren't dominating the world music scene. Man, we have talents way better than those who join the show! This seasons picks seem to be better than last year's though, and I find myself enjoying AI again.

Image hosting by Photobucket At first, I watched it because there's this Pinoy guy who was part of the initial 24, Jose Penala. He was eliminated last week not because he doesn't have the voice, but probably because, he doesn't have the appeal. I wasn't really surprised, I'm sorry to say. Pero sayang talaga.

Anyway, I do have my comments about the others. Some are just hanging on by a thread, while some are solidly safe for the next few weeks. Here's the run down of those who I believe are worth mentioning...

Image hosting by Photobucket
Chris Draughty
I love this guy. He rocks. But can he croon? If he can manage not to bore us for the next few episodes (Stevie Wonder songs are up for next week), he has a good running for winning the Idol.


Image hosting by Photobucket
Katharine McPhee
She reminds me of Kate Middleton, Prince William's girlfriend. I can almost hate her for that, except that she's really good. She still strikes me as kind of snobbish, but if its talent and hotness, she's in. She can really win this.


Image hosting by Photobucket
Lisa Tucker.
A-ma-zing girl. She can sing anything. Hope she wins, but if she doesn't, no worries coz she's got a career already. I am sure of it.


Image hosting by Photobucket
Elliot Yamin
Tee-hee, funny looking hobbit, ain't he? But he's good, for crying out loud. If he had an album, I will buy it. But I'm weird, so I do not speak for America. He's good though. Tsk, tsk. Damn good.


Image hosting by Photobucket
Ace Young
If he wins, its because he's pretty. Sorry.


Image hosting by Photobucket
Kevin Covais
They actually told him he looks like Chicken Little. Which he does. His voice is not that amazing; I think he made it to the finals because he's novelty, y'know? But that's not going to be enough to get him the title. Nope. Sorry. I like him, he reminds me of my friend Norman (a little or rather because he's little), but he'd do better to be an actor where he can be taken seriously.


Image hosting by Photobucket
Mandisa
Best vocals, it's her hands down, feet down. She's so comfortable in her own skin and she gives big women something to be proud of. Hey, big women can rock. This spurious hope though is too delicate to build dreams on. She might not get the votes. AI is a popularity contest after all. Props to her though, because she's simply the best of this crop. She doesn't need the American Idol title to prove that.

The rest of the candidates are ho-hum (Taylor Hicks, that fuzzy-haired guy who plays honkytonk music, unbelievably still in the game) ((Oh and that Bucky guy who absolutely amazes me because he's still in the game as well - - I bet a lot of his friends has got cellphones) or are good but kinda overshadowed by the others(Kellie Pickler, Melissa McGhee and Paris Bennet).

On another note, it made me sad to say goodbye to these guys:

Image hosting by Photobucket
Gedeon McKinney
Really cool voice, and that smile of his was starting to grow on me. He was a showman, he was great. Tsk, tsk. Sayang din...


Image hosting by Photobucket
David Radford
He's, aw, shucks, kinda cute. Basta cute siya. His voice sounds Sinatra-esque pa. Hay. Try again in a couple of years, boy, and you might just have a shot at fame again. In the meantime, my name's listed under B in the Philippine's Local Directory. :) Oh wait, this guy's just 17... Uhm, let's wait another year then so I don't end up in jail for corrupting minors. :) Arg. All the cute guys are just kids now, I'm too old already!

Kaw, sino bet mo?

Tomorrow on Reality Bites Part 2 -
Pinoy Big Brother Celebrity Edition: Media Lab Rats

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manong Boie's Advice to Young People

Stephen King says Stephenie Meyer Sucks

The Last Station: Leo Tolstoy's Last Days