Evil

You Are 22% Evil
A bit of evil lurks in your heart, but you hide it well.In some ways, you are the most dangerous kind of evil.
How Evil Are You?
Jessica Zafra Talks about How Evil a Bibliophile can Be...
Biblioholics Support Group
You have a problem. Not a real problem—very pleasant as problems go, but still a sort of problem.
You can't stop yourself from buying books, even if there's a stack of at least ten books on your bedside table that you haven't started reading and another stack you haven't finished reading, and you know full well that this new book you're itching to buy is going to end up on those stacks. You have an entire catalogue of rationalizations to justify buying another book that you don't have time to read. "I'm saving it for my retirement" (Tolstoy or Proust). "If I don't buy it now, it might not be here when I come back." "This is the last one, I swear. I won't buy another book until I finish my backlog." "True, I've sworn to finish my backlog, but it would be more realistic to maintain the backlog at a constant number. Every time I finish a book, I can buy a new one." "Dammit, I deserve to treat myself to a book." "I've been looking for this book forever and I can't insult the cosmos by not getting it." "This could be the book that will change my life/ alter my world-view/ inspire me to write my own great literature." And so on. Two days later you're sitting at home, surrounded by your unread books and you cry, "I have nothing to read!"
Know that you are not alone. There are others like yourself, enslaved by their lust for books. (Never mind their taste in reading matter, never mind if they think The Da Vinci Code is the greatest book ever written--hell, at least they read books. Let's dwell on what you have in common.) Compared to most addictions, this one is healthy (unless you run up huge debts or commit felonies to acquire the books). There is one question: Do you buy the books out of a pure love of books, or is it just avarice? To put it another way: Is it really reading you love--or shopping?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manong Boie's Advice to Young People

Stephen King says Stephenie Meyer Sucks

Eating Pizza in Pisa and other Tuscan Food Adventures