Foodie Friday Ep1 - Return to Innocence Egg Salad Sandwich


The other night, I was at Highlands Coffee in Emerald Avenue where they are selling Smoked Salmon and Egg Salad Sandwich for Php 139. I remember being flabbergasted but I bought it anyway because I haven't had a good egg sandwich for ages. Unfortunately, the sandwich was a disappointment. The bread was too dry, and the spread wasn't as generous as I needed it to be. I made a resolution to make my own and avoid being hoodwinked into commercialized egg sandwiches again.

The problem is, I have never ever made an egg salad sandwich in my life ! That's the thing about egg salad for me, I see it as a token of love because my Mom and my Tia Ely were the only ones who ever made one for us. It's always just there, isn't it? And it's just for the kids, right? .

This first of a series will feature how I made my own grown-up version of the Egg Salad Sandwich.

What You Need:
3 large eggs
1 pint Mayo / Pickle relish combo or
       I used Ladys' Choice Sandwich Spread
Chives
Parmesan Cheese
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
a pinch of sugar (to neutralize sour taste of the sandwich spread)
Smoked Salmon
1 tsp bits of blue cheese

Instructions:

1. Boil eggs for 10 minutes or until you figured it's already hard-boiled. Let cool in a vat of water afterwards. Then remove shells and have the time of your life smashing it to bits.
2. Mix eggs and sandwich spread together. Add chives (lots of em), salt and pepper to taste, sugar til sourness is neutralized, and tiny bits of blue cheese.
3. Don't overdo the salt because you would want the saltiness to come from the ground Parmesan Cheese. Sprinkle liberally.
4. Prepare sesame loaf slices by slightly toasting it the bread toaster. Then lay down appropriate amount of smoked salmon on the toast.
5. Here's the key: Ladle generous amounts of the egg salad mixture onto to the bread. If you have a waffle maker, you can then press the bread to toast it more.

And there we have it, ladies and gents, you have your childhood egg salad with a grown-up twist.

I had mine with lots of Arizona iced tea, and some chips. Lovely.

Hope you enjoy yours. :D


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manong Boie's Advice to Young People

Stephen King says Stephenie Meyer Sucks

Eating Pizza in Pisa and other Tuscan Food Adventures