Silas is Sick

My laptop got hit by a d*mn virus and hit my OS files last January 1, 2009. What a way to start the year, eh? Anyhow, I was advised to save the important files in a flash drive. I don't do back-up (idiotic, I know) so I had to choose which one to save at such short notice and with limited space: my music files or my ebooks.
.
I spent a year accumulating an impressive music library. I guess I had about more than 8,000 songs stored in my laptop and desktop. Name it, I got it: pop, rock, skaa, classical, praise, alt rock, rock classics, bossa, etc.
.
Now, I just started downloading ebooks about 6 months ago, but my ebook collection now has about 2,000 titles from the following genres: romance, sci-fi, fantasy, YA, comic books, thrillers, non-fic, biographies, etc.
.
Considering these things, when push came to shove, I still chose the books. And even then, I only chose the fantasy books and YA. Romance novels are easily downloaded anyway. I do feel pangs of regret, but in my head, books win over music. Sure, it took me forever to find the person who had the old Beatles Classic, but maybe I'll run to him again. And that Tori Amos concert performance that took me 7 hours to download? Well... don't remind me now.
.
I made my choice and I'm trying to live with it. :)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
This incident also made me realize how attached I have become to the gadget. When the virus hit, the remorse and worry I felt almost equated the feeling of having a baby getting sick. It felt like a member of the family needed to be brought to the hospital. I mean, c'mon, I carry it to work during the day, and blog in my room or read an ebook or play music with it at night. It's like having a baby brother or a 24-hour boyfriend around.
.
Figures then that when I read Mariel's blog introducing her net book Nigel, I decided to name my buddy as well. I initially thought I wanted the name Jigsaw. It's cute. But I realized my Compaq Presario needed a serious name, an odd name, a silly dignified kind of name. That's why i chose to name him...
.
Friends, meet my buddy Silas.
.
I would take an actual picture, but he's still in the "hospital." Please pray he gets better and that I wouldn't need to rob a bank to pay for the expenses. :)

Comments

  1. isang drive lang ba si Silas? di ba usually ang OS files ay nasa C: so kung nkasave yung mga precious files mo sa ibang drive eh di na yun maapektuhan. drive C lang naman ang ifformat. pero kung isa lang ang drive. burn mo na lang kaya sa dvd? hehe. then have it partitioned to two sa technician. kung gusto mo may maibibigay akong site na pwede kang magdownload ng mga music albums at ebooks atbp.

    stay healthy Silas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Manong Boie's Advice to Young People

Stephen King says Stephenie Meyer Sucks

The Last Station: Leo Tolstoy's Last Days