HP 4

Book in Hand: 24 short stories by willa cather
Song in Mind: a monotonous droning


I admit, the Harry Potter movies are now to be considered capitalistic ventures out to earn the big millions from the enthralled masses. And it's one capitalistic venture I visibly indulge in. That is, as long as they can keep me hooked.

As of HP 3 I am already having difficulties accepting the film interpretation of the book. And as Harry's world gets darker, I find myself more hesitant to indulge in it. I read HP for the sake of being young again. Not anymore.

HP 4 was definitely not 100% faithful to the book. Grabe, there were scenes that left my mouth hanging open and I was spouting "B-b-but... it didn't happen that way!"

I'm not sure what pushed the director's vision, and I guess I'm just being catankerous. But if a person watches the film without reading the book, they wouldn't understand the story at all! And to those who did read the whole lot of Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire would be just as disapointed as I am because some of the greatest scenes were actually not included in the film. I was hoping to see more of the Quidditch World Cup, I wanted to see Dobby (a little) and I just cannot accept that Neville Longbottom was used to be the "gilly-weed delivery boy" instead. That was just a little too blatant for me. And the Ron-Hermione spat-romance was a little too hurried as well.

I don't know. I can see in my head the scenes I would choose if I were the director. This is the truly last book where Harry would ever be visibly happy until the defeat of Voldemort or himself. I was hoping to see that glimmering of hope before it all too quickly disappears with the resurrection of the dark lord. The story was ungraciously cut at weird stages of the story, and only my familiarity with the book saw me through the whole thing.

I guess it's a ploy to encourage those who aren't really into reading the books to buy a copy of the volume just to bloody understand what the movie was all about. :)

And yet, here I am --- hooked to the very core. I am irked that I do not have the money to buy a copy of the Half-Blood Prince yet and I just cannot, really cannot wait for the last book to come out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manong Boie's Advice to Young People

Stephen King says Stephenie Meyer Sucks

Eating Pizza in Pisa and other Tuscan Food Adventures