Noted

I've been wondering....

Dear reader, have you ever tried clicking those links under my blogster sidebar? I just visited all of them today and I realized I have the weirdest set of friends. We often never share the same opinion, but we survive being acquainted, and sometimes, even being great friends with each other.

Like for example, Sep just totally razed War of the Worlds in her last entry, and there I was last Tuesday saying I actually liked it.

I know, I know. That's normal. Or usual. In my world, nothing is normal nga pala. But I find it fascinating.

Anyway....

GLORIAGATE

Nakakahiya ako. I teach civil welfare, I work in a development org, I am a CSWCD UP graduate... and I absolutely have no idea what GLORIAGATE is. That is, until last Saturday. Yesterday talaga, sobrang naghabol ako sa mga newspapers. I ahve to understand what the deal is. Moreover, I have to make a stand.

Sobrang engrossed na ko with the trivialities of my work that I cannot seem to balance it out with the real world anymore. I mean, a lying president is a big thing. I should know that. Shet, I should hate that. And idagdag mo pa all the oppositionists who are playing the scandal up to their heart's desire. Ang gulo, gulo, gulo, gulo. But all I can care about right now is PLDT and their school building project in Malabon and celebrating MVP's birthday next week with this med/dental feeding mission thing.

What's the point of my doing all this "noble" things if I have lost my perspective on why I'm doing it in the first place? Hala, I don't want to be like those in the government. All mouth and all talk, pero yung action nila empty and meaningless. I don't want to be a freaking robot.


WAITING FOR SODOM

What is Sodom nga pala? One of those ruined cities in the Bible? Then why the hell did I just say I was waiting for it?

I guess, what I'm waiting is for all of it to end. What? BAsta lahat.

Pero tanong lng, baka may nakakaalam. Bakit tinawag na sodomy and sodomy at ano ang relasyon niya sa Sodom?


GALING

Mon Isberto is PLDT / SMART's Public Affairs Head. He used to be on this morning news show, I forgot which one. This morning during the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Expo in Westin Phil. Plaza, he gave a speech about Bottom-of-the-Pyramid Approach to development. The main point being that dev't efforts haven't reached their targets because the support of the private sector is taken as and / or. Not as a must. He said we must take it from below, make it more accessible to more people. Not just big companies, I guess, but small and medium enterprises. Which is the case for PBSP naman. What I liked about his presentation was the fact that he has good command of his voice, he used the stage effectively by breaking away from the rustrum and used good materials for his subject. He's a really good speaker. He reminds me of my Dad.

Later this afternoon, I met with him and Ms. Del Rosario in his office to present details about our education project. Ewan ko if it was right to praise him about his presentation. The last thing I want to sound like is a suck-up. Pero ako kasi, I don't give empty praises. I find it plastic kasi. I just really had to tell him he was great earlier that morning. Anyway, I just hope that someday I can have the same confidence and sense of authority that he's got. Right now, I catch myself talking like a simpering fool. But I'm trying to work on it so that I can be a lion someday too.

And this reminds me about the one aspect I find fascinating with PBSP work. You get to meet all these successful people, minus the red tape. I'm not one who likes to name drop. But if I did, I'd probably be like a kid in a candy store. Now that i think about it, how normal is it to be in texting terms with CEOs, much less in greeting terms with them when one is just a greenhorn? Understand that this is normal in PBSP. I'm not in any way special or above others. It's just the way the org works. Someone as unexperienced like me can actually be presenting and talking with presidents and ambassadors isn't such an unusual thing. Kaya nga siguro, people say we have good training here.

The good thing about this is that I can find mentors anywhere. Meeting and talking with these good and great people lends me a window to how things could turn out to be for me and my friends. I have to say, the future looks not so bleak. InPsych, didn't they say Modeling is a primary factor in acquiring habits? Ergo, if I choose who to emulate carefully amongst the so many I get to meet, I might have a chance at greatness someday as well.

Ahhhh... here's really hoping. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manong Boie's Advice to Young People

Stephen King says Stephenie Meyer Sucks

Not an Average Love Letter