The Last Stand

Book in Hand: The Princess Bride by William Goldman (exhausting bit of dollop, if you ask me) and Lempriere's Dictionary (totally incomprehensible)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Reasons to Watch X-Men III:

1. I love Hugh Jackman.
2. I want to see how the movie messed up the comic books.
3. I love Hugh Jackman.
4. It's better than watching the tired movie concept that is All About Love and the complete failure to launch of, well, Failure to Launch.
5. I love Hugh Jackman.


Is this list clear enough?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I've watched Hugh in that forgettable movie with Ashley Judd (the movie remake of the book called Animal Husbandry); I endured Kate and Leopold for him (yes, even with that hideous Duke costume he was forced to wear half the movie); and gasp! I even watched that kooky Australian movie Paperback Hero because of him. And of course, I watched X-Men and X-Men 2 because he plays the yummy-licious Wolverine. (Guys will kill me now for seeing Wolverine as yummy rather than the mean, lean fighting machine he is).

To my complete and utter surprise, I was vaguely pleased with X-Men: The Last Stand. Aside from the fact that they showased Hugh in all his rugged handsomeness (to the point of overdoing it, actually), it tickled my imagination as well. What fascinating characters the X-Men are! I remember being engrossed with the cartoon series on TV a lot of years back. I remember liking Jubilee (who barely registered in this movie, sad to say). I don't remember Jean Grey dying though. I thought Phoenix just left her body or something. And Cyclops didn't die, I'm actually sure of that. Meanwhile, Rogue took the cure for the insipid Iceman? I don't think so. All that happened in this movie. But I still liked it.

The movie did take my breath away in some things though:


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
1. It was a life long dream for me to be the star of a movie where I play someone with infinite powers --- such as displayed by Jean Grey / Phoenix in the movie. Geez, she even wore my fantasy costume, the mysterious/dominatrix body suit with matching dress/cape. Although most of the time, Jamke Famssen (how do you pronounce that name?) almost started looking like a comatosed patient the way she portrayed Phoenix, I still loved it. Drat. My kingdom for that role.

2. Angel / Warren is too dang beautiful. And he was so underutilized. If you look at the movie poster, you'd think he'd be playing a much bigger role. But the way the movie was edited, he's just one of the minor characters.

3. Kelsey Grammer played The Beast? Now, who could've known that? He was utterly unrecognizable. And so utterly brilliant playing the diplomatic Blue Beast. Well, so I think.

4. Shadowcat's too cute. Is it just me who imagined her to be kittenish and a bit more demure?

5. Iceman was SO flirting with Shadowcat. I mean, what girl wouldn't go over fits of purple rage over the things he did? Make an ice pond and go gallivanting with another girl ? Rogue came out a wimp in the film.


Oh, and check this out, dawg. (Channeling Randy Jackson)
They say X-Men 3 is a metaphor for Gay Rights with its theme of fighting discrimination and alienation.They may have a point there. And what more proper movie title can be used other than X-Men, right? :)

I'm sorry, I hope that was not an offensive joke. I'm still getting my lingo down to pat. Especially now that every other guy friend I have has outed themselves over the span of one year. I totally get the "loving people just the way they are" part. And I do. I for one, still would marry Angel, wing span and all.

Oh, just go on and watch X-Men 3. Indulge yourself. It's a no-brainer, but it's fun. And that's what you want when you pay for the tickets, right?

Oh, and wait for the trailer to end and watch a 2-second clip that challenges the claim that this movie truly is "The Last Stand."

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manong Boie's Advice to Young People

Stephen King says Stephenie Meyer Sucks

The Last Station: Leo Tolstoy's Last Days