Da Vinci Code

Book in Hand:Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Song in Mind: Run by Litchie Nadal
Word in Mouth: Palm

A workmate lent me the Da Vinci Code and sure enough, I just couldn't drop the book once I've started it. I've always been fascinated with books or movies that tackles religious conspiracies. It's not as if I'm seeking to destroy my own faith in the Church. Wise men advice against it, but it's almost like a test for me how strong my faith is. It always amazes me when I find out things I don't know, grisly stories about how the Catholic Church became the powerful religion that it is, and realize that it doesn't really change a thing for me. It opens up many questions, but as always, I don't have to rationalize my faith. Or else, it wouldn't be faith but reason. And as Einstein said to much of reason does not make a religion, but a science. The way I see it, there is faith, and there is religion. Sometimes, religion could be made perverse by lost souls. But it does not make the religion bad. It is MAN that made it perverse. Why? because they try to turn faith into reason. This book tackled issues about the Opus Dei contingent. I know some local numeraries and members who are seething mad about the "fabrications" made by Dan Brown. Personally, I don't think the book was an attack on the Opus Dei. Just like any religion on earth, there would be believers gone mad doing stuff that was meant for good but has turned bad under the influence of fanaticism. It might as well have been the Catholic church, or the Protestants. Also, Dan Brown is an author. He wanted to write something explosively controversial so the book would sell. I don't personally think he made an awesome choice choosing religion to get attention, but a writer writes. Readers read. And it doesn't mean what you read, you believe. I say leave it to the readers to choose what they believe. They must learn how to be objective, especially if a piece of literature is marked as fiction.

Me, I find the book thought-provoking. But it did not move continents inside me. I already know what I believe in. It is of little importance to me if Jesus was indeed married. Or that He had children. I do wish though that women were given more stead in the Church. We could be just as strong as men. If only there were female priests, I want to be one. But the point of it all, mortal or God, Jesus died for us. He LOVED us enough to sacrifice his life for us. His love moved mountains, and changed the face of the earth. I do not wish to stare at the pointed finger, but at the sky it points to. Because there, after all, is my God.

Popular posts from this blog

Manong Boie's Advice to Young People

Stephen King says Stephenie Meyer Sucks

Eating Pizza in Pisa and other Tuscan Food Adventures