Farmer Boys



I'm chatting with my best friend right now and I kind of told her about a weird incident that occured the last few days. Not weird because it's the first time to happen, but you know, weird, because it baffles me.
.
When you're in my line of work, scouring the plains and valleys of the Luzon provinces, you do meet the most interesting people. Being a single girl from Manila has it's disadvantages though. You get the weirdest propositions from people.
.
Just today, a mother approached me and said I should think about marrying soon, and if I was interested, her son is single too. She was referring to a giant of a boy whose face turns red everytime anyone, anything looks at him. Maybe even passing dogs make him blush. I'm sure it was a joke. It always is. Or is it? But you know, I'm not likely to accept. Everyone in that room knew that, of course.
.
I did get asked out too by another man and the pick-up line went, "Ma'm, nainom ba kayo? Eh, kung pwede kayo, bonding tayo. Single naman ako." Scintillating, right?
.
Again, it was probably a joke because anybody can see I was going to say no. And I did say no and softened it by saying I don't drink liquor. But the thing is, a curious part of me, wanted to see what it would be like to say yes. This farmer boy was not hard on the eyes. Too dark-skinned, but he's got a dimple that makes his smile really nice.
.
And I hated myself for the reason that bestilled my curiousity. To stop from thinking about it, I found myself saying, "he's a farmer, for godsake!"
.
I am apalled, yes. But it also made me wonder how true the reason is too. Whatever could we have in common? He calls me Mam, and pronounces himself "Singgol." That's a lasting relationship there. So all this blabbering really is just due to idle curiousity.
.
But it did give me an exercise on seeing how many ways a life can go. if I said yes, I probably wouldn't be seated here blogging. I'll be drunk... maybe unwittingly pregnant. Life can change in an instant.
.
I am not extremely pleased with my life right now, so it lends me extra reason for wondering how else my life can go. If i was a farmer's wife, would I be happier? maybe not. If I was married to a fuckin' Ayala, would I be? Nobody could really say.
.
So you see.... I do think too much. sometimes, it's not the healthy exercise people claim it to be. :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manong Boie's Advice to Young People

Stephen King says Stephenie Meyer Sucks

The Last Station: Leo Tolstoy's Last Days